In the state of Israel’s early years, a number of parents in immigrant transit camps were told that their babies had died. In recent years, DNA testing has proved that some of those children are still alive. A younger generation is demanding answers.
After years of pressure, Israel is taking measures to uncover the fate of children, mostly Yemenite, who disappeared in the 1950s. +972 spoke with two activists about the families’ long road to justice.
Between the years 1948 and 1952, thousands of Yemenite babies, children of immigrants to the newly-founded State of Israel were allegedly taken away from their parents and given up for adoption to Ashkenazi families. Now, poet and activist Shlomi Hatuka goes back and speaks to the adoptees about one of the most painful, covered-up stories in the history of the state
PMO and Justice Ministry officials in direct talks with families of missing children, according to Kan report.
For years, the Israeli establishment blamed the victims and dismissed their stories. Now, activists are claiming back the narrative.
By Shoshana Madmoni-Gerber and HaoketsJanuary 24, 2020
Israel opens new grave connected to the case of disappeared Yemeni children
Remembering the thousands of children who disappeared in the "Yemenite babies affair"
In the first years of the State of Israel, young Jewish migrants from Yemen had their children taken away and were told they had died. Seventy years on, no one really knows what happened to them and the grieving families who still live with the burden are demanding to know the truth. What happened to their children?
President Isaac Herzog’s full remarks at the event in honor of Awareness Day for the Disappearance of Children from Yemen, the Middle East, and the Balkans
In the years after the creation of the Israeli state hundreds of babies went missing. Their parents, mostly Jewish immigrants from Yemen, were told their children had died, but suspicions linger that they were secretly given away to childless families - and newly released documents have revealed some disturbing evidence.
As a new state inquiry takes place, John Reed meets the families who believe their babies were stolen and given away
For nearly 40 years, everything about Gil Grunbaum's life was a lie, including his name. He was not, as he had always assumed, the only son of wealthy Holocaust survivors who owned a baby garments factory near Tel Aviv. Grunbaum had been stolen from his mother by doctors at a hospital in northern Israel in 1956, moments after she gave birth.
Jerusalem demonstration signals shift in public attitudes to mystery, long dismissed by some, as fate of vanished children still unknown.
As many as 5,000 Mizrahim Jewish babies, mostly Yemenis, were reported missing in Israel between 1948 and 1954. Families say they were given away.
Government has declassified some 200,000 documents on the disappearance of thousands of babies after Israel’s founding
On June 16, feminist activists gathered in Tel Aviv (as well as another six locations in Israel) to oppose a recent spike in violence against women. Although the organizers had asked participants not to come representing parties or organizations, a small group of women from the Women’s International Zionist Organization (WIZO) arrived bearing their flag, and their chairperson, Gila Oshrat, asked to address the crowd. Within minutes, her speech was heckled and she eventually had to leave the stage after facing loud cries of “Open Up the Archives.”
Between the years 1948 and 1952, thousands of babies, children of mostly Yemenite immigrants to the newly-founded State of Israel, were allegedly taken away from their parents and given up for adoption to Ashkenazi families. Now a group of activists is telling the stories of the traumatized families who vow never to forget.
In the years following the founding of the State of Israel, thousands of babies, children of mostly Yemenite immigrants, were allegedly taken away from their parents by the state and given up for adoption to Ashkenazi families. The Israeli Left remained consistently silent on the matter.
A well-known Israeli journalist casts doubt on one of the most tragic affairs in the country’s history: the alleged kidnapping of thousands of Yemenite babies between the years 1948 to 1954. Now, one prominent scholar asks why journalists are siding with the state’s narrative, rather than using their power to expose what may be hiding from the Israeli public.
Between the years 1948 and 1952, thousands of babies, children of mostly Yemenite immigrants to the newly-founded State of Israel, were taken away from their parents. After decades of being silenced, it is time to look those parents in the eye and say: you were wronged. This is not a tall order, it is the bare minimum.
A group of dedicated activists have been working tirelessly over the past several years to force the state to come clean about the disappearance of hundreds of Yemenite children in the early days of the state. They might just succeed.
**English subtitles available**
The independent doc-web-series "Neviim: Operation Amram", which follows the founders of Amram NGO in their struggle for public recognition in the kidnapping and selling of Jewish Children of Yemenite, Mizrahi and Balkan origin. This is a rare glimpse into Israel's most painful social struggle.
Creators: Elad Ben Elul & Yossi Brauman
Original Soundtrack: Amit Hai Cohen
Join our facebook: https://www.facebook.com/neviimdoc
A woman who for years believed that she was one of the children kidnapped in the 1950s Yemenite Children Affair finally met her biological sisters for the first time after DNA tests revealed that they were family.
The reunion took place on Wednesday, when Varda Fox, 67, met her two sisters, three uncles and aunts, and nieces and nephews.
Third generation demand government come clean on events surrounding abduction of up to 5,000 children of early Arab-Jewish immigrants to Israel